Greenville, SC, is a great place to visit with so many free, fun and family-friendly things to do. Our tree-lined downtown is filled with boutiques, nightspots, unique coffee houses and a myriad of restaurants offering just about every kind of cuisine imaginable. The Reedy River runs through downtown and Falls Park, a 32-acre green space with a breath-taking cantilever walking bridge.
Our 60-acre Unity Park features a 4,100-square-foot splash pad, playgrounds, expansive green spaces with picnic tables, a 10,000-square-foot welcome center, basketball courts, a historic baseball field, 2.5 miles of hiking tails, seven bike racks, and three pedestrian bridges that span the Reedy River.
For more outdoors, hike or bike the 22-mile Swamp Rabbit Trail, a multi-use greenway running from downtown all the way to Travelers Rest. Paris Mountain and the Pisgah Forest are both just a short drive away. And don’t miss our own “Green Monster” (a Fenway Park lookalike) while pulling for our hometown baseball team, the Greenville Drive!
If you prefer the great indoors, check out our museums for kids, art lovers, baseball fans, history fanatics, car enthusiasts and more. There are multiple theater companies, dance companies, and the Peace Center, showcasing everything from Broadway shows to the hottest touring bands. Prefer more music? We have our own world-class Symphony, local classical music, and lots of nighttime venues for jazz, rock, blues and good old southern music – not to leave out comedy!
Greenville, SC is located halfway between Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC along I-85 and is nestled below the Appalachian Mountains just south of Asheville, NC – less than four hours from the ocean and Charleston, SC.
The closest commercial airport is GSP (Greenville-Spartanburg International) https://gspairport.com/
For more information about our beautiful, people-friendly city:
Search for ARTS Events
- SC Arts Hub – A great place to search for ARTS events. You can customize your results by clicking on “New Search”. You can enter dates, cities/regions, art forms and event types. South Carolina has so many Art events! Check it out!
Free Fun Things to Do in Greenville
- Falls Park – In downtown Greenville is a beautiful 32 acre green space with gardens, performance amphitheater and a cantilevered bridge that looks like it floats above ground.
- Unity Park – 60 acres of green space which includes a splash pad and playground.
- Swamp Rabbit Trail – A 22-mile multi-use greenway system that is great for biking, running and walking. Info on Bike Rentals
- Paris Mountain State Park – A mountain just 15 minutes from downtown!
- Downtown Trolley – Hop on and off any place along the route.
- Mice on Main – A fanciful downtown scavenger hunt for children of all ages.
- Self-Guided Walking Tours
- Art in Public Places Self-Guided Tour
- Saturday Farmers Market – Saturdays May through October, 8:30am to 12pm on Main Street at McBee Avenue
- BWM Zentrum Museum –Monday – Friday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum and Baseball Library – Thursday – Monday from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
- The SC Confederate Museum – Closed Tuesday & Thursday. See website for hours
- Runway Park at Greenville Downtown Airport – Educational amphitheater, exercise “Perimeter Taxiway,” walking “runways” as well as aviation themed playground equipment and picnic area.
- Military History Center of the Carolinas – Open Saturday 10 am to 4 pm and Sunday 12 to 4 pm
- Greenville County Museum of Art – Open Wednesday – Saturday 10 am – 5 pm. Sunday 1 pm – 5 pm
More Fun Things to Do in Greenville
- Upcountry History Museum – $8 – $10 Closed Monday
- Children’s Museum – Up to $15 (must be accompanied by a child) Closed Monday
- Greenville Drive Baseball – $8 – $20 Downtown Fenway Park-like stadium. April – September
- Greenville Zoo – $9 – $12 Daily 9 am (10 am in winter) – last admission: 4pm
- Signal Music Museum – $4 – $7 Closed Monday